Being a HUGE fan of peanut butter, my husband has always loved the Peanut Butter Mousse Pie at our local JIMBO’s Bakery. I’m not as big a fan, but even I think this pie is heavenly! For his birthday this year, I decided to try and recreate a version at home.
I searched online and this recipe from Epicurious caught my eye because of it’s methodology. I adapted the recipe and decided to use a combination of peanut butter and powdered sugar instead of the peanut butter chips to make it more peanut flavored.
I made 2 pies and invited some friends over to celebrate. The resulting pie was perfect! I really enjoyed the taste of the peanut butter mousse and chocolate layer. I don’t think we’ll be going to JIMBO’s again for some peanut butter mousse pie!
BLACK-BOTTOM PEANUT BUTTER MOUSSE PIE:(gluten-free option, contains dairy)
7 whole graham crackers, coarsely broken (gluten-free option: gluten-free graham crackers)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 T sugar
1 Graham Cracker pie crust (pre-made)
1 1/3 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (8 ounces)
2/3 cup + 1 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream, divided
2 T light corn syrup
2 teasp vanilla extract, divided
1 cup + 2 T creamy peanut butter (Skippy or Jiffy)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- To Prepare Crust. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9″ dia. glass pie dish with nonstick spray. Blend graham crackers, melted butter, and 2 T sugar in processor.
- Press the crust mixture over the bottom and sides of the pie dish.
- Bake the crust until lightly browned (about 15min).
- To Prepare Chocolate Layer. Combine the chocolate chips, 2/3 cup cream, corn syrup, and 1 teasp. vanilla extract in a microwave save bowl.
- Microwave until the chocolate softens (about 2-3 minutes). Whisk or mix with spoon until the mixture is melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the bottom of the crust. Freeze for 10 minutes. (optional – leave a small amount of the chocolate mixture to decorate the top of the pie)
- To Prepare Peanut Butter Mousse. Combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar, and 3/4 cup cream in a large microwave safe bowl for 15-sec intervals until the peanut butter softens and the mixture becomes smooth. Stir often. Mix in 1 teasp. vanilla extract. Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat 1 cup cream + 2 T sugar in a medium bown until very thick but not yet holding peaks.
- Fold into the peanut butter mixture in 3 additions.
- Spoon the mousse over the chocolate layer. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
- To Decorate (optional). Get as creative as you want with this step. I topped the pie with some whipped cream around the edges. I filled a pipping bag with the rest of the chocolate sauce and pipped chocolate lines across the pie. You can also sprinkle chopped peanuts on top.