Fresh fruit and chocolate go great together, which is why I experimented with pairing the Wacky Cake Recipe with the Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe and added some raspberries to lighten up the sweetness and give it a fresh taste. The resulting cake was absolutely delicious and everyone loved it!
This Raspberry cake is a huge crowd pleaser and perfect for any birthday party!
- Follow the recipe for preparing the Wacky Chocolate Cake and make twice the recipe to make two 9" pans for a double layer cake. You can get creative and make a double layer square cake, or two different layers of different sizes (9" & 10" round cakes).
- Completely defrost 1 frozen package of Raspberries. Strain out the juice and dry out the raspberries as much as possible. Keep the raspberry juice to flavor the cake.
- Cool both cake layers completely before assembling cake. Place one plain cake layer on serving plate upside down (flat side of the cake should be facing up). Using a thin skewer, poke holes in the cake, 1 inch apart. Spoon a really small amount of raspberry juice over the cake such that the cake soaks up some of the raspberry flavor.
- Spread the top of the first layer with cream cheese frosting. Position raspberries on top of the cream cheese frosting 2 inches apart.
- Top with remaining cake layer (right side up). Using a thin skewer, poke holes in the cake, 1 inch apart. Spoon a really small amount of raspberry juice over the cake.
- Spread the sides and top of the cake with the remainder of the cream cheese frosting. Decorate the top of the cake with raspberries and refrigerate for 30min.