If you’re looking for something light and fresh to eat for lunch on a hot summer day, these rice wraps are perfect! For this version, I used what I had in my fridge…tofu, mushrooms, avocado, and romaine lettuce. I cooked the tofu and mushrooms with some soy sauce for some extra flavor. Ideally, I’d eat these with peanut sauce, but since I didn’t have any, I used the dipping sauces I listed below.
You can get creative with rice wraps and add other ingredients depending on what you have in your fridge…such as cucumbers, rice noodles, carrots, mint, basil, etc. Enjoy!
FRESH SUMMER RICE WRAPS: (gluten-free, vegan)
(makes about 8 wraps)
3-4 large leafs of romaine lettuce, washed and dried
8 large rice paper wraps (get these at any Asian grocery store)
1 package firm tofu (18 oz.)
hoisin sauce (omit for gluten-free option)
soy sauce (for gluten-free, use San-J brand)
(optional) – you can use any dipping sauce you prefer, but here are some suggestions:
- Island Soyaki Marinade sauce (available at Trader Joe’s Store)
- Sweet Chili Sauce (available at Trader Joe’s Store or local grocery store)
- Chili Sauce (I use Huy Fong Chili & Garlic Sauce) or Sriracha Sauce
- Peanut Sauce (store bought or the recipe on my blog)
- To Prepare Tofu: Cut both tofu blocks in half. Place each half in a clean paper towel one at a time and squeeze to remove excess storage liquid (without breaking up the tofu). Cut the tofu into long strips and pan fry on medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil until all the water is burned off and the tofu is lightly golden brown on most sides (be sure not to burn or smash the tofu). While the tofu is cooking, continue on to prepare the rest of the recipe.
- After the tofu is golden brown, add some soy sauce to the pan and mix to coat the tofu. Set aside.
- To Prepare Wrap: Set a pot of water to boil over medium heat. Once the water is boiling, poor into a large covered bowl and set aside to keep hot (you will have to dip your fingers in, so not too hot).
- Tear each romaine lettuce leave into 3 or 4 pieces. Thinly slice the avocado lengthwise.
- To Assemble: Take out one of the rice papers and place it in the bowl of hot water. Gently press the rice paper down in the water and soak until pliable (approx 10-20 sec.). The rice paper will soften very quickly. Remove from the water and place on a clean working surface.
- Place one piece of romaine lettuce in the center of the rice paper. Spread some hoisin sauce on the piece of lettuce. Add 2-3 pieces of prepared tofu and 2-3 slices of avocado lengthwise on top of the lettuce.
- Begin to roll by folding the bottom part of the rice paper over the filling. Tuck in the right and left side over the filling. Continue to roll forward until the end of the rice paper, keeping the folding as tight as possible.
- Repeat steps 5-7 and assemble the remainder of the rice wraps until you run out of filling.
- Cut each roll in half and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.