These cookies are the perfect freshly baked hot chocolate chip cookies! This recipe has been passed down to me and adapted from my aunt, who is vegan. These cookies, along with her Banana Nut Bread, were one of my favorite desserts to enjoy when I came back home from college.
Instead of baking the entire batch at one time, I typically make round balls of dough and freeze them so I can savor the taste of freshly baked rich hot chocolate chip cookies! Our favorite way to use the dough is to make a delicious Pizookie, a warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie topped with ice cream!
For the vegan option, use vegan butter and vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can get these from Trader Joe’s or many other grocery stores).
Make a large batch of dough and freeze for the perfect gooey walnut chocolate chip cookies!
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 350 degrees.
- Slowly melt the butter in a bowl. Make sure the butter is not hot when added to the mix, otherwise the chocolate chips will melt.
- Add all dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, white sugar) and mix in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients except chocolate chips and walnuts. Mix well until all the mixture becomes dough-like.
- Finally add the chocolate chips & chopped walnuts. Mix into the cookie dough.
- Portion out all the dough into approx 2 inch round balls.
- Layer baking tray with foil. Bake cookie dough for 10-15 min. or until tops start to turn light golden brown. Leave the cookies on the foil for 2-3 minutes after they're out of the oven.
- These warm cookies taste great with vanilla ice cream on top.
Since cookies will continue to cook for a few minutes after they are taken out of the oven, avoid baking them until they're fully brown. Instead, take them out once they're light golden brown on top or the edges start to brown.
Instead of baking all the dough, I prefer to roll out all the dough in round balls and freeze them. This way, you can enjoy freshly baked warm cookies.