Cupcakes are great to make for any occasion – whether for a wedding, birthday, or just for fun! Although they’re simple to make, the enjoyable part about baking cupcakes is that you can get as creative as you want with the flavor, filling, frosting, and decorations! After much delay, I finally decided to try making my first batch of eggless cupcakes. I went through a few iterations and ended up with a few great recipes which combined in many different ways to make cupcakes that tasted rich and divine!
Since I love chocolate, I decided to stay simple and made a chocolate cupcake recipe based on my Wacky Cake Recipe. As for the frosting, I made a dark chocolate ganache and used it many different ways: (1) as a filling in the cupcake, (2) as a glaze on top, and (3) as a whipped frosting. I also made a cream cheese frosting for my husband who’s not as big a chocolate fan as I am.
The resulting cupcakes ended up tasting heavenly rich and satisfying, but not overwhelmingly sweet since I used dark chocolate. All of the cupcakes I made had the dark chocolate ganache filling & glaze. I frosted half with the dark chocolate ganache frosting and half with the cream cheese frosting. And what better way to top it off than with fresh strawberries. Get creative when assembling and decorating!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Ganache Filling, Glaze, and Frosting
Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients (vegan):
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teasp baking soda
- 1 teasp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teasp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vinegar
Dark Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 16 oz. vegan dark chocolate chips
- 16 oz. 2 cups coconut cream , see notes below
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients (contains dairy):
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , unsalted, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teasp vanilla extract
- lemon juice , optional to taste
To Make Cupcakes:
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder).
- Add all liquid ingredients except for vinegar and use a electric mixer to combine. Add vinegar at the end and beat again until moist and well blended.
- Fill cupcake cups no more than 2/3’s full (note: the best way to do this is to pour the batter in a measuring cup and pour into each of the cupcake cups).
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating.
To Make Dark Chocolate Ganache Filling & Glaze:
- Place the dark chocolate chips or pieces in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the thick coconut cream in a pot stovetop or microwave until it just begins to simmer (do not let the cream boil over). Immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Mix with a spoon until the chocolate mixture is completely smooth. Allow the chocolate ganache to cool to room temperature (note: it will get slightly thicker as it cools). Use for glaze and filling.
To Make Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- Once the cupcakes have been glazed and filled, whisk the rest on high for 2-3 minutes with a stand mixer or electric mixer until the desired frosting texture is achieved (medium – stiff peaks).
- Note: If you are having problems getting the stiff peaks, put the ganache in the fridge for a short time (be careful not to let it solidify) to cool the mixture, and then try mixing with an electric mixer again.
To Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the softened vegan cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon juice to taste. (Note: lemon juice is optional, add to give the frosting a slightly citrus taste).
Directions To Assemble Cupcakes:
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- Filling: Cut out a cone from the top of each cupcake. Flip the cone and cut off the excess cupcake.
- Set the top aside and fill the cavity with the dark chocolate ganache filling with a small spoon (note: be careful not to overfill). Put the top back on.
- Glaze: Spoon the glaze on top of each of the filled cupcakes and smooth around the top.
- Allow the glaze and filling inside to solidify before frosting (note: you can also put the glazed cupcakes on a tray in the fridge to solidify faster).
- Frosting: Top with either the dark chocolate ganache frosting or cream cheese frosting. Allow the frosting on top to solidify as well either by letting it sit at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Topping: Top with a whole strawberry or chocolate shavings, etc
I made these cupcakes kind of spontaneously because I really wanted to bake something! It was great because I already had all the ingredients at home and didn’t have to make a special grocery store trip. Just because I was looking for something quick and easy, I made just the cupcakes and used pre-made frosting! The consistency of the cupcakes was great! Next time, Ill try it with the ganache frosting and glaze!
Have you tried just frosting the cupcakes with the dark chocolate ganache frosting, without the filling and glaze? I’d like to go just that far 🙂
Gastronomers - Amman & Anjali
Hi Devi – i don’t always do the filling because it’s extra work (yet worth it!). Plus, the frosting is really rich so it’s enough just to have the frosting on.
But if i make the frosting, i usually do the glaze because in order to make the frosting, you make the glaze and whip it for awhile until it becomes thick. But of course you can just do the frosting if you want and skip the glaze =)
Oh and not sure if you caught my note on the whipped frosting, but if you’re having trouble getting it to become thick, just cool it slightly for a 5-10min in the fridge and it should be easier.