Even though these are extremely simple to make, I had to share the post because they tasted great with NO added sugar, and much better than store-bought Reese’s peanut butter cups! The idea for these peanut butter cups came from a family member. I decided to make them for my husband on our wedding anniversary since they are one of his favorites! All you need is some dark chocolate and fresh peanut butter, which are always staples in my pantry.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- vegan chocolate chips , such as Enjoy Life Dark Morsels
- peanut butter or almond butter , see notes below
- mini-cupcake wrappers
- Set up a double boiler and melt the dark chocolate chips (see notes below)
- For this next step, I used some wilton pipping bags to avoid making a mess, but feel free to use a small spoon or any other method. Place the mini-wrappers on a flat plate or baking pan.
- In each cup, add some melted dark chocolate (enough to cover the bottom of the wrapper and make a chocolate layer). You may need to shake or tap tray so that the chocolate makes an even flat layer.
- Place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes until the chocolate solidifies.
- Repeat step 2 with softened peanut butter, creating a thick peanut butter layer on top of the chocolate layer. You do not need to place this in the fridge.
- Continue to top again with some melted chocolate creating a total of 3 layers (chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate).
- Place them in the fridge (or freezer) until solidified and enjoy!! Store extra in the fridge!
We made these peanut butter cups for a school event and they turned out great. The recipie says to make a thick layer of peanut butter but since we are chocolate lovers we made the peanut butter layer as thick as one of the chocolate layers. They are extremely easy and much tastier than the store bought peanut butter cups.
Gastronomers - Amman & Anjali
Glad you enjoyed this easy recipe! I agree they are very addicting and much better than the store bought ones! Thanks for the comment!
Made these a couple of months back for my med school small group and they were a huge hit! They were super easy to make and soo delicious!
I’m allergic to nuts. Would this work with Wow butter?
If you are allergic to nuts, I would recommend Sunflower Seed Butter. I’m not exactly sure what Wow butter is, but if it’s something similar, I’m sure it would work just fine, as this is a pretty simple basic recipe. I’ve used sunflower butter on many occasions because of nut allergies at my sons school, so it should work just fine. Let me know how it turns out!