For my first Mother’s Day celebration, my newborn son decided to make me breakfast =) Of course, he had to ask his daddy for help and together, the two of them made me some eggless french toast and it was delicious! I originally tried a few other ingredients to substitute for the liquid coat, but ended up going with a simple cornstarch based coating mainly due to it’s neutral taste. The traditional taste of eggy bread was definitely not missed in this egg-free soggy, yet crispy version. To top it off, my husband added powdered sugar, fresh strawberries, and some good-quality maple syrup. The recipe takes all of about 10 minutes to make. Thanks to my husband and son for a very special first Mother’s Day!
Eggless French Toast
- Combine the non-dairy milk, cornstarch, and vanilla in a large shallow sauce pan and whisk until everything is combined and the corn starch is dissolved.
- Pre-heat a nonstick pan on medium heat.
- Place one slice of bread face down in the milk mixture. After a few seconds, flip the bread over so that the other side soaks in the milk mixture for a few seconds.
- Quickly add some of vegan butter to the heated pan (it should start to fry). Immediately place the soaked bread on the buttered pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown (be sure not to try and move the bread while it is cooking).
- Carefully pick the bread up with a wide spatula, add some more vegan butter to the pan (it should instantly fry), and flip the bread to brown the other side. Repeat with the other slice of bread.
- Top with some maple syrup, sliced strawberries, and powdered sugar. Serve hot and enjoy!