Mexican Food was the theme for this years holiday party! I’ve had the frozen jalapeno poppers from grocery stores many times, but wanted to try making fresh ones myself. I found a recipe for fresh jalapeno poppers from at Simply Recipes and adapted it to fit what I what I was looking for. I added some fresh garlic, and made it healthier by substituting some 2% or full-fat greek yogurt for the cream cheese. I absolutely loved the result! My husband or I could not even tell the difference. You can easily prepare the filling and stuff the jalapeno halves a day in advance and bake prior to serving.
The jalapenos that we bought were really spicy, but they tapered off a bit once filled and baked. I made about 50 of them for my Holiday Party and they were gone within 5-10 minutes of taking them out of the oven. They were perfectly cooked, tasted great, and perfectly seasoned. This is definitely one of my top 10 when it comes to appetizers or sides!
Fresh Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 cup onion , minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese , such as Kite Hill Plain
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1.5 teasp cumin
- 1 teasp salt adjust amount according to taste
- vegan pepper jack cheese , Follow Your Heart brand, cut into 2 1/2-inch long batons
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the jalapenos in half lengthwise, de-seed, and scrape the inside of each half. Be sure to try and leave part of the stem intact so that each half creates a "boat" to fill.
- Mix together all the filling ingredients except for the vegan jack cheese.
- Stuff each of the pepper halves with the filling.
- Push a strip of the vegan pepper jack cheese into the filling of each pepper halves.
- Arrange the peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- The cheese should be bubbly and lightly browned. And the peppers should be cooked.
- Serve hot.