For the vegan option, simply omit the feta cheese. I still think it would taste great as a side or as a filling for a sandwich. For the gluten-free option, you can use gluten-free pita bread, corn tortilla, or simply eat it as a salad!
Greek-Style Eggplant Pita Sandwich
- 3 pita rounds , omit or use corn tortilla for gluten-free option
- 2 1/2 pound eggplants , skinned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups white onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 bell pepper , chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves , minced
- 1/3 cup fresh parseley , minced
- 3 tomatoes , small diced
- 1 cup vegan feta cheese , optional
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the diced eggplant until they are golden. Remove and set aside
- In the same skillet, heat some additional olive oil. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bel pepper. Cook until onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook until they have softened (not too long).
- Add in the cooked eggplant and saute for an additional few minutes to combine the flavors.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and mix in the parsley, mint and feta cheese (if using). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat another pan to medium and cook the pita bread or corn tortilla on both sides to your preference.
- Cut the pita in half and fill each half pocket with the eggplant mixture. Repeat with the other pitas and serve! (note: in my opinion, this dish tastes best cold)