This is a great greek-style eggplant stuffing which can be eaten as a sandwich stuffed in some pita pockets, or even as a main salad. It’s loaded with fresh veggies and herbs, cooked down and cooked together to form a blend of amazing flavors. Top it off with some feta and fresh mint and parseley from the garden and you have yourself a healthy meal! My favorite is to have it cold in pita pockets or grilled corn tortillas with either hummus or tzatziki yogurt sauce and serve them as pita sandwiches. They are the perfect meal to pack for lunch as well.
For the vegan option, simply omit the feta cheese. I still think it would taste great as a side or as a filling for a sandwich. For the gluten-free option, you can use gluten-free pita bread, corn tortilla, or simply eat it as a salad!
Greek-Style Eggplant Pita Sandwich
This greek-style eggplant stuffing can be eaten as a sandwich stuffed in some pita pockets, or even as a main salad.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 pita rounds , omit or use corn tortilla for gluten-free option
- 2 1/2 pound eggplants , skinned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups white onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 bell pepper , chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves , minced
- 1/3 cup fresh parseley , minced
- 3 tomatoes , small diced
- 1 cup vegan feta cheese , optional
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the diced eggplant until they are golden. Remove and set aside
- In the same skillet, heat some additional olive oil. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bel pepper. Cook until onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook until they have softened (not too long).
- Add in the cooked eggplant and saute for an additional few minutes to combine the flavors.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and mix in the parsley, mint and feta cheese (if using). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat another pan to medium and cook the pita bread or corn tortilla on both sides to your preference.
- Cut the pita in half and fill each half pocket with the eggplant mixture. Repeat with the other pitas and serve! (note: in my opinion, this dish tastes best cold)
For vegan feta cheese, I use Violife or Follow Your Heart brand.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 769mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1565IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg
Did you Make this Recipe ?Mention @VegetarianGastronomy or tag #vegetariangastronomy!
We enjoyed this recipe with middle eastern flatbread! -Devi