Need a fun Halloween lunch or dinner idea for your family? These mini Halloween Potato Pizza Mummies are the perfect Spooky, but easy and healthy, bites for Halloween night!
It’s OCTOBER already (can you believe it?)! It’s my birthday this month…but more importantly, it’s HALLOWEEN! The month of ghosts, witches, skeletons, trick-o-treating with friends, costume parades, Halloween parties, candy, and pumpkin patches! It’s one of my kids’ favorite holidays (and secretly ours too), so you can bet that our Halloween decorations went up as soon as the month started. Lucky for us, both my 4 and 6 year olds love scary and spooky Halloween decorations, which makes this holiday even more fun for us.
Halloween night is always crazy in our house. We typically start trick-o-treating early. My kids RUN (not walk) from house to house with their friends in the neighborhood, checking out all the Halloween costumes and decorations. At some point, we (meaning all the parents) need a break because, honestly, the kids could go on all night. So we go back home, rest a little, enjoy passing out candy, and re-fuel with dinner before going out for a second round of trick-o-treating in another nearby neighborhood that goes all out with Halloween decorations. This year, I thought these mini Halloween Potato Pizza Mummies would be a fun family dinner idea for Halloween night! They’re quick and easy, spooky and fun, healthy, and delicious! Not to mention, these pizza potatoes are the perfect finger food for the kids to eat while passing out candy at the house.
I love using red potatoes for these pizzas, but you can use any variety. Simply slice them into rounds, pre-bake them in the oven for a short time, top it with some sauce, and let the kids go mummy crazy with the cheese strips. Add some olives for the eyes, and bake them once more until the cheese is melted. They also make the perfect Halloween appetizers for adults if you switch the olives for jarred jalapenos and add some red crushed pepper before the cheese. Who doesn’t love pizza on Halloween, right?! For more Halloween dinner recipes, fun appetizers, and spooky treats, definitely check out my friend Cara’s blog, Fork and Beans. She is extremely creative, especially with Halloween, and I’m obsessed with her site around this time of year!
Turn these pizza mummies into a Halloween activity with your kids. It’s easy entertainment + dinner…now that’s my type of meal. I’d love to see what your Halloween Potato Pizza mummies look like this month, so be sure to tag me on Facebook & Instagram, @vegetariangastronomy #vegetariangastronomy with your spooky pizza creations!
Halloween Potato Pizza Mummies
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil (note: for a smaller serving size you can also use your toaster oven).
- Slice the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-1/2 inch slices. Set both end slices aside. Place the remaining slices in a single layer on the lined baking sheet.
- Quickly spray a little cooking oil on the potato slices and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper (if using).
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the potato slices are tender. Bake for longer if needed.
- Remove from the oven and flip each potato slice over. Spread a layer of your favorite pizza sauce on top of each potato slice. Arrange the sliced black olives as eyes and the vegan cheese strips to form the mummy (see picture above).
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven, let cook, and enjoy! (see notes below for another version)