Ever buy bananas intending on eating them but realize a weeks gone by and they’re now too ripe? Use those bananas with this perfect recipe and you’ll be grateful you forgot to eat them! Bananas make this bread taste really moist. I like to add chopped walnuts, cranberries, and chocolate chips, but feel free to modify the recipe as you like. You can find great vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s. Whenever I make them, they tend to disappear in a day.
I originally got this recipe from my aunt who is vegan. Many times when I’d come home for the holidays from Berkeley and stopped over at her house to see what she had baked that day, she’d have fresh banana bread with walnuts, raisins, and chocolate chips. I fell in love with it and have been making the bread once every month or two for the past few years.
Whenever I make this banana bread, they tend to disappear in a day! Out of all the recipes I have on this blog, this one is probably the one I make most frequently…everyone loves it!
Looking for a way to use up those ripe bananas? This easy vegan banana bread with nuts is your answer!
- 1 1/2 cup flour , white flour, whole wheat flour, or Arrowhead Mills gluten-free all-purpose baking mix
- 3 bananas , preferably ripe
- 8 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar , or for a healthier option: 1/3 cup sugar + 4 Tbsp. applesauce
- 1 teasp baking soda
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 pinch clove powder
- ground cinnamon , to taste
- chopped walnuts , optional
- vegan chocolate chips
- cranberries or raisins , optional
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, cut, and mash the bananas in a bowl (I prefer to do this with a masher or my washed hands).
- Add all dry ingredients into the same bowl. Add oil in the end.
- Mix with a electric mixer. Add more cinnamon if needed.
- Line the bottom of a 8" pan with a circular 8" piece of wax paper and pour batter in the pan (you can also use a bread pan, but i prefer using a circular pan). Sprinkle some cinnamon on top before baking.
- Bake bread in oven for 50-55 minutes.
- Let bread cool completely and turn over onto a rack or cutting board. Peel off the wax paper and cut into square pieces or slices! Enjoy cold or hot!
For a healthier option, use 1/3 cup sugar + 4 Tbsp. applesauce.