To Prepare Sauce:
- Heat butter or oil in heavy saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 min.
- Add red crushed pepper and saute for 30 sec.
- Add tomatoes. Simmer until the sauce is reduced and mash some of the tomatoes (~ 1 hour). In the meantime, you can start to cook the penne pasta.
- Season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Add 1 cup chopped fresh basil. Mix and cook for another 5-10 minutes on low heat.
To Prepare Pasta:
- Boil the Penne Pasta al dente.
- Add the pasta to the sauce. I usually like a generous serving of sauce compared to my pasta. Top the pasta with freshly ground black pepper and garnish with fresh chopped basil. Serve hot with home-made garlic bread.