After spooning this mixture in-between two slices of sour dough bread and grilling the panini with some butter, they turned out delicious! I usually need some hot sauce or ketchup on the side, but because I added salsa inside, the panini tasted perfect by itself. This dish goes perfectly with a side of sauteed brussel sprouts.
I’ve made this recipe several times when I’ve had unexpected guests visiting and staying for lunch or dinner. Pre-mixing all the ingredients for a panini saves you the time from having to layer each one-by-one.
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno chopped
- 1/2 roma tomato finely diced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2-3 spoons prepared salsa such as Cholula or Pace Picante
- 6 slices sour dough bread or whole grain bread gluten-free option: use your favorite gluten-free bread
- butter for grilling
- freshly ground pepper
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded cheese, chopped jalapeno, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, freshly ground black pepper, and salsa. Mix with a fork or spoon until all the ingredients are combined. (note: the amounts indicated above are an approx. feel free to add more or less depending on your preference).
- Spoon the mixture evenly on top of 3 slices of bread and top with the remaining bread.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Spread butter directly on the pan. Place one panini on the buttered pan and grill until that side is golden, pressing lightly.
- Butter the pan again and flip the panini. Grill until the other side is golden as well and the cheese mixture inside is completely melted.
- Slice the panini in half and serve hot with your favorite side!