This simple dish is a surprisingly delicious twist on a classic black bean burrito. The special ingredient? Cream Cheese! You may think cream cheese does not belong in a burrito, but it’s creamy texture creates a delightful tasty addition to an otherwise normal burrito!
Most of the ingredients in this recipe would normally be added to a burrito – black beans, onions, bell peppers, garlic, cilantro, and jalapenos. But the creaminess of the cream cheese made for a great addition!
I’ve eaten this burrito filling with both flour and wheat tortilla…both tasted great. If you’ve never tried uncooked flour tortillas from Canasta, they taste so much better than any other packaged flour tortilla brand I’ve tasted so far. You can find these uncooked flour tortillas at Sprouts and Ralphs. You can also purchase these tortillas directly on the Canasta Uncooked Flour Tortillas website or on amazon.
If you’re looking for a simple, easy, tasty, and slightly different meal than your standard black bean burrito, grill some tortilla and try out this recipe!
Special Black Bean Burritos with Veggies
- 5 tortillas , whole wheat, flour, or corn
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 22 oz. can black beans , 1.5 15-oz can rinsed and drained
- 2 teasp fresh jalapeno peppers , minced
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro , chopped finely
- Cholula hot sauce , or your favorite hot sauce
- Heat the olive oil on medium in a large non-stick pan. Add the minced jalapenos, garlic, onions, and red bell pepper. Saute for a few minutes until fragrant and the onions are starting to become translucent. Be sure to mix frequently.
- Mix in the black beans and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add some salt for flavor.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and fold it into the mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat off. Mix in the freshly chopped cilantro. Season with salt to taste.
- Heat or grill your tortilla of choice (feel free to use some butter to grill the tortilla).
- Fill the middle of the tortilla with the black bean mixture. Add Cholula hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce) and fold the tortilla into a burrito. Serve immediately.