Freshly grown ingredients and a HOT summer day calls for some freshly squeezed lemonade! I’ve been wanting to make some ever since summer started. My lemons and mint springs finally started growing in my small garden and strawberries have been in season for awhile, so I decided to make some strawberry mint lemonade.
I searched a few recipes online, but did not quite find the recipe I was looking for. Most recipes started off with a mint/sugar syrup so I decided to do the same and add fresh strawberries and lemon juice to taste. Below is the recipe I came up with and it was perfect! Even my 2 year old son enjoyed the refreshing taste while playing outside. We finished the pitcher in only 2 days and i’m already ready to make some more!
Strawberry, mint, and lemon is all you need to make a refreshing summer drink.
- 5 cups water
- 25 mint leaves , torn
- 2 cups fresh strawberries , washed and halved
- 3 mint springs
- 1.25 - 1.5 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice , use a lemon juicer
- 1 cup maple syrup , or sugar of choice
If using raw sugar, bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small pot. Stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved and then turn off the heat.
- Add the torn mint leaves and stir the pot. Allow the simple syrup to cool.
- In the meantime, add strawberries to a blender. Place a strainer over the mouth of the blender and pour the mint syrup into the blender (discard the mint leaves).
- Add fresh lemon juice into the blender (note: if all the liquid does not fit in the blender, add as much mint/sugar water as you can and add the rest after blending.
- Blend on low speed for a few seconds at a time, just enough to break the berries apart but not enough to puree them.
- Fill a pitcher with ice, add the mint springs, and pour the lemonade and strawberry mixture over the ice.
- Stir and add more ice if necessary.
The variability of water and lemon juice above depends on how sweet and tart you like your strawberry lemonade. If you are uncertain, you can always start off low, and add more water and lemon juice after blending all the ingredients together.