As most of you may already know, I LOVE Garlic, it’s one of my favorite ingredients! The way it smells, the way it tastes, and how it enhances so many different dishes. So you can imagine my excitement when I found out that there are many others that share my love for garlic. So many, in-fact, that there’s an entire day dedicated to it! Yes my friends, today, April 19th, is National GARLIC Day! So why not celebrate with a one of your favorite garlic dishes. Whether you like it raw, roasted, or sauteed, here are some of my favorite recipes with Garlic to get you started. And don’t forget to scroll all the way down past the recipes to read some fun facts about GARLIC!
Some FUN facts about Garlic:
- Garlic is known to help with digestion and reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Garlic contains only 4 calories per clove.
- Garlic contains 17 amino acids.
- Chicago was named after the American Indian word for the wild garlic that grew around Lake Michigan – “chicagaoua”.
- The most cloves of garlic eaten in one minute is 34, by a person in Nepal.
- The psychological term for fear of garlic is alliumphobia.
- The smell of garlic can be removed by running your hands under cold water while rubbing a stainless steel object.
- Its pungent flavor is due to a chemical reaction that occurs when the garlic cells are broken. The flavor is most intense just after mincing.
- Garlic is both a vegetable and herb.
- Garlic is said to fight off evil spirits, and keep vampires away.
I can’t end this post without mentioning my all-time favorite garlic press. I’ve featured it in a post a long time ago, but I can’t say enough how much I could not live without it! I’ve never had to replace it, and it works like a charm when I decide to use a press rather than chop the garlic (depending on what I’m making). My Analon Advance Tools Classic Garlic Press…
HAPPY NATIONAL GARLIC DAY!