I’ve heard of people making tofu scrambles for breakfast or as a side and never realized how simple the dish was to make until I tried it myself. I used a tip from a friend who told me to freeze the entire block of tofu prior to making the scramble. Freezing tofu changes its consistency and texture, making it more firm and dense. When crumbled, it tastes great.I made this recipe up myself so feel free to add any additional vegetables (such as mushrooms), sauces, or herbs. This recipe is a mexican version of tofu scramble. It tastes great as a side or for breakfast. You can also grill either flour or corn tortilla and use the scramble as a filling. If you’re using flour tortilla, I highly recommend uncooked flour tortillas from Canasta, they taste so much better than any other packaged flour tortilla brand I’ve tasted so far. You can find these uncooked flour tortillas at Sprouts and Ralphs. You can also purchase these tortillas directly on the Canasta Uncooked Flour Tortillas website or on amazon. Get creative as i’m sure there are many versions of a tofu scramble!!
Find out what makes this particular tofu scramble different than the rest! Unbelievable unique textured tofu combined with a Mexican flare!
- 14 oz. firm tofu
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 small white or red onion , chopped
- corn kernels , frozen
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- taco seasoning , see below for gluten-free version of this ingredient
- hot sauce , I prefer Cholula Hot Sauce
- basil or cilantro , chopped
- flour or corn tortillas , optional
- cooking oil
- Cut tofu block in half. Drain the tofu with paper napkins in order to remove the excess storage liquid (without breaking up the tofu).
- Once the tofu is drained, place it in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. Freeze overnight or until you are ready to use it.
- Remove from the freezer and and thaw completely in the refrigerator. You will notice the change in consistency of the tofu after it has been frozen.
- When soft, press any residual water with a paper napkin.
- (Note: Alternatively, you can place their unopened package of tofu in the freezer without draining and drain after the tofu is defrosted. You may have more water and air pockets because the water will have frozen inside the tofu. Either method will work.)
Add 2 tbsp oil in a wok or skillet and heat to medium.
Add chopped garlic, onions, and red/green bell peppers and saute on medium/high heat until they are cooked. Add some salt and mix. Defrost and add the corn.
- With your hands, crumble the tofu block and add directly to the skillet.
- Mix the scramble frequently and cook the tofu until it has slightly browned.
- Add taco seasoning, hot sauce, and salt to taste.
- Add freshly chopped basil or cilantro. If you don't have fresh herbs, you can use dried herbs. Serve hot.
You can eat this scramble by itself, or grill tortilla and make a wrap using this scramble as a filling.
Many store-bought taco seasoning is not gluten-free. For a gluten-free version, instead of using store-bought taco seasoning, use a combination of any or all of the following spices: chilli powder, paprika, salt, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, ground oregano, and sugar.