Looking for another easy recipe to add to your weekly meal rotations? This Vegan Tortilla Soup recipe is healthy, filling, and family-friendly! No fancy ingredients…simple, yet delicious, making it the best tortilla soup you’ve ever had!
Isn’t it awesome when you find that perfect meal to make for your family?
This Vegan Tortilla Soup is a one-pot, easy, complete, healthy, well-balanced meal. Even your kids will enjoy this dish. You will wan to make double the recipe, because everyone will be asking for leftovers the next day…AND it makes a great school lunch. Have I caught your attention yet?
Vegan Tortilla Soup
This soup is a favorite in our home. We make it at least 2 times a month, if not weekly. The base is a simple combination of vegetable broth, onions, garlic, fresh jalapenos, lots of cilantro, and a few basic spices. The flavor of the soup really comes from having the base ingredients simmer with all the fresh vegetables and black beans until fully cooked.
One of our favorite things about this vegan tortilla soup is how creative you can get with all the toppings. You can enjoy it as is, or take it up a notch by making a small topping platter of finely diced avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, freshly fried corn tortilla strips, and a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. Simply warm up the soup and let everyone customize with the toppings. You can even get your kids involved and let them cut the corn tortillas with a pizza cutter into any shape they want before frying or baking in the oven.
If I’m short on time, I use my Chop Wizard to help prepare all the veggies ahead of time. After that, the soup requires very little attention while cooking. (On a side note – the Chop Wizard is AMAZING. If you’ve never owned one, you’re missing out. I love using it when I have a lot of veggies to chop. It dices or chops the veggies, all the same size and shape). For a baby or toddler version, simply blend this soup to your desired thickness. I did this with my kids when they were younger, served with a side of mashed avocado.
If you’re looking for a healthy, filling, tasty, family-friendly go-to meal, this Vegan Tortilla Soup recipe is the one! It’s easy and delicious, and hands down the best tortilla soup I’ve had. I’ve served it on several occasions as an appetizer when hosting dinner parties, and it’s always a huge hit. So try it out, and let me know what you think! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram, @vegetariangastronomy #vegetariangastronomy , I love seeing and sharing your re-makes!
This easy delicious vegan tortilla soup makes the perfect weeknight soup! Loaded with protein, veggies, and all the toppings!
- 2 teasp avocado oil , or any cooking oil
- 1 cup white onion , chopped
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 teasp ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro , finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes , chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 15 oz black beans , canned, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 2/3 cups zucchini or yellow squash , diced into small cubes
- 1-2 tbsp jalapeno , (optional) finely diced
- hot sauce , (optional) Cholula
- hot sauce , such as Cholula
- avocado , diced into small cubes
- corn tortilla , cut into strips and fried or baked (or use tortilla chips)
- fresh cilantro , finely chopped
- fresh jalapeno , finely chopped
Heat avocado oil in a large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until tender (~1-2 minutes).
- Mix in tomato paste and cumin. Add a few drops of hot sauce if using.
- Add the vegetable broth, 1/3 cup cilantro, and a dash of salt. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, zucchini, jalapeno (if using), and corn. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender (I typically check the zucchini to see when it's done).
- Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Top with cilantro, avocado, jalapenos, and fresh fried corn tortilla strips. Add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce for additional spice. Enjoy hot!
For Easy Prep - I love using a chopper to dice the onions, tomatoes, and zucchini to save time.
Vegetable Broth - I use Imagine low sodium Organic Vegetable Broth. I've used other brands before, but this one is by far my favorite.
Prep Ahead Tips - Chop all the veggies ahead of time. Use tortilla chips instead of making your own.
For Toddlers & Babies - Once the soup is done, blend it to your desired consistency.