Whether or not I’m looking for something vegan, this chocolate cake recipe is full-proof, easy to make, and goes well with any decor/frosting. It’s the first time I’ve used the combination of vinegar and baking soda to replace eggs. The reaction between the two is the basis of its use as a levening agent in baking. Cakes are basically solid foams produced when bubbles from the reaction are trapped in the batter. Therefore, as the cake bakes, the batter dries, and the trapped bubbles form the holes in the cake causing the batter to bubble vigorously and rise.
Use this recipe as a basic chocolate cake and be creative with the frosting and decoration. Here are a few frosting recipes I’ve used with this cake:
This vegan chocolate cake is ideal for decorating and birthdays! It holds shape, has great moisture, and is very easy to make!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Oil and lightly flour a 9x13" pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Frost cake and decorate if desired.
This recipe can also be made into two 8" round cakes by just splitting the batter into two pans.