For my sons 3rd birthday party this past year, he wanted a Mickey Mouse theme. So of course I had to make him a Mickey Mouse cake (pictures to come). Along with the cake, I tried to come up with a few other fun Mickey Mouse themed desserts to put out on the table for the kids. One of them was the Mickey Mouse Pops I posted a few weeks ago, which were a huge hit (even with the adults). In addition, I decided to make these easy Mickey Mouse cupcakes…they were fun to put together and turned out really cute! My son even helped me sprinkle the chocolates and place the mini oreos on top.
After all the party planning and baking, in the end I have to admit a got a little lazy and decided not to glue two dots on each cupcake liner to act as Mickey Mouse buttons. But now looking back, I wish I had taken the time to do it because they would’ve completed the mickey mouse look =) Oh well…next time! The important part was that the kids recognized the cupcakes as Mickey Mouse and they thoroughly enjoyed them! I made both mini-cupcakes and regular-sized cupcakes. For the mini-cupcakes I just piped on the frosting and sprinkled some chocolate on top.
Below are some pictures of the Mickey Mouse pops and cupcakes displayed on the dessert table we had setup for my sons 3rd birthday!
These Mickey Mouse cupcakes will win all the crowds over!
- 16 Chocolate Cupcakes , use the cake batter to make cupcakes
- Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- chocolate sprinkles
- red cupcake foil liners , regular size & mini size
- mini oreos
- piping bag & decorating tip
- glue & small white round cutouts to act as mickey mouse buttons (you can use a hole punch to make these) , optional
- Pipe the dark chocolate ganache frosting onto the cupcake using a Wilton 1M Open-Star decorating tip .
- Put chocolate sprinkles on top.
- Place 2 mini-oreos to act as Mickey Mouse ears.
- Glue two paper dots side by side on one side of the red foil liner to act as Mickey Mouse buttons.