Small thin slices of toasted bread, typically lathered with some type of cheese spread, and topped with a flavorful rich savory blend. Crostinis can be satisfying any day. In fact, that’s exactly what I did, eating this Mushroom Crostini w/Garlic Basil Ricotta “Cheese” Spread for lunch all week until it was polished off.
This recipe came to light while planning for our annual holiday party this past December (yes…I know it’s almost April now, but I’ve been sitting on this recipe for months and am finally excited to be able to share it with you guys). Have you tried my vegan Garlic Basil Ricotta “Cheese” Spread yet? If not, you must. I’ve been told it tastes JUST like ricotta cheese, except for my version is dairy-free and made with healthy ingredients. I typically make a batch of it and use it in anything and everything throughout the week. Instead of serving it as part of a cheese plate at the holiday party, I decided to turn it into a crostini. I needed to come up with a savory blend, and of course mushrooms instantly came to mind.
Before going any further, I need to tell you that I am obsessed with mushrooms, but only when they’ve been cooked (not raw). My husband knows that when we go out to eat, if a menu item has roasted or sauteed mushrooms in it, it’s guaranteed that I am ordering it.
Now back to the crostini. The earthy flavor of mushrooms and fresh herbs combined with my Garlic Basil Ricotta “Cheese” Spread on small toasted slices of bread makes for the perfect bite. It’s great to serve as appetizers, bring to a dinner party, or even serve as a light lunch. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think. If you’re like one of the other 35 non-vegans who tried this at my last holiday party, then you’re sure to love it just as much!
Mushroom Crostini with Garlic Basil Vegan Ricotta “Cheese” Spread
- 1 sweet french baguette , thinly sliced (or your favorite gluten-free bread)
- Garlic Basil Vegan Ricotta Cheese Spread
For the Mushroom Mixture:
- 8 shiitake mushrooms , finely diced
- 8 white button mushrooms , finely diced
- 8 cremini mushrooms , finely diced
- 8 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teasp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp white cooking wine
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary , finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 teasp salt or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
To Prepare the Mushroom Mixture:
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic and fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add all the finely diced mushrooms and saute on medium-high heat until all the water released from cooking the mushrooms burns off completely. Mix frequently.
- Add the salt, some freshly ground black pepper, and combine.
- Add the white cooking wine and mix to de-glaze the pan.
- Add the freshly chopped rosemary, parsley, and pine nuts. Combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, mixing frequently.
- Season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste if needed.
- Turn off the heat and set the mushroom mixture aside.
To Prepare Crostini:
- When you are ready to assemble, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the thinly sliced french bread in the oven and bake until slightly golden on both sides.
- Remove the slices from the oven and allow them to cool on a cooling rack .