One night for dinner I felt like having a few different appetizers instead of an entire meal. I had some mushrooms, pecorino cheese, and breadcrumbs so decided to throw together some stuffed mushrooms.
They were very simple, quick to make, and tasted really good! I had already popped a few in my mouth right out of the oven before I even sat down. I enjoyed these mushrooms with some double tomatoe brushetta on toasted sourdough bread and a salad.
For the breadcrumbs: you can make them fresh, or get store-bought seasoned breadcrumbs. Most breadcrumb brands contain some byproduct of meat. The only vegetarian brand I’ve come across from Ralphs is Cento Bread Crumbs (Italian Style). To make Italian style breadcrumbs at home, simply combine Planko Breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt to taste.
Stuffed Mushrooms with Breadcrumbs
For Italian Breadcrumbs (see notes below):
- 1 cup organic plain breadcrumbs , or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teasp salt
- 1/4 teasp onion powder
- 1/4 teasp garlic powder
- 1/4 teasp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese , Violife or Follow Your Heart brand
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp parsley , chopped
- 2 tbsp mint , chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 28 large white mushrooms , washed
- salt/pepper , to taste
To Prepare The Italian Breadcrumbs:
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well in a bowl.
To Prepare Mushrooms:
- Turn the oven on to 400 degrees for baking.
- De-stem the mushrooms and spoon out the cavities for stuffing. Set aside.
- Stir the bread crumbs, vegan parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, mint, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle a heavy large baking sheet w/ 1 tbsp olive oil to coat.
- Spoon the filling into each of the mushroom cavities and arrange them on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over the filling in each mushroom.
- Bake the mushrooms until they are tender and the filling is heated and golden on top (~20min).
I made these the other night for an appetizer to my eggplant Parmesan and they were a huge hit! Loved this recipe and will def make it again!!
My mother-in-law made these for me and they are AMAZING! I could have eaten the whole batch, but I had to be considerate and share with my husband.