I normally try not to cook with heavy cream, unless it’s used for desserts. But this past week I had some leftover heavy cream in the fridge after making my husbands favorite for Father’s Day, Black Bottom Peanut Butter Mousse Pie. I did not want to waste it, so I decided to make this pasta dish…one of my favorites with heavy cream (my other favorite is Farfalle w/Creamy Broccoli Sauce).
This sauce is simple and tasty. It is composed of mushrooms, onions, and garlic all cooked into heavy cream and topped with some herbs – the perfect blend of flavors for the farfalle to absorb! Whenever I make this dish, I usually do all the prep-work ahead of time (i.e. washing, chopping, etc.) and make the actual dish fresh to serve because of the heavy cream inside the sauce.
For the gluten-free option, you can use any brand and shape gluten-free pasta you prefer.
Creamy Farfalle Pasta w/Mushrooms
- 12 oz. Farfalle Pasta , or gluten-free pasta
- 1 tbsp butter , salted
- 1/2 cup white onion , finely chopped
- 12 shitake mushrooms or baby portabello mushrooms
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 4 garlic cloves
- dried thyme/sage
- fresh parsley , finely chopped
- Parmesan Cheese, grated , optional
- Boil the pasta al dente in some salted water.
- In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 min until fragrant.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms in the butter and garlic until they are both cooked through.
- Add the heavy cream and let the sauce cook until it starts to thicken at a low simmer. Be sure to mix frequently.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Add salt/pepper to taste, some dried thyme or sage, and freshly chopped parsley. Mix and adjust herbs to taste.
- Let the pasta cook for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
- Top with fresh Parmesan cheese if you prefer and serve hot!