Remember the sandwich recipe I was raving about in last weeks post? Well here it is… Crispy Mushroom Sandwich with Chipotle Green Onion Aioli. This sandwich is seriously amazing. Having studied in Berkeley, CA, where they had a fabulous selection of local sandwich and salad joints, I have become a sandwich snob. So I took it upon myself to develop the perfect sandwich to quench my cravings, and here it is.
Crispy Mushroom Sandwich with Chipotle Green Onion Aioli (vegan, gluten-free)
For the Crispy Mushrooms:
- 4 white button mushrooms , thinly sliced with stems
- 4 cremini mushrooms , thinly sliced with stems
- 10 shitake mushrooms , thinly sliced with stems
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/8 teasp garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
For the Sandwich:
- 8 slices bread , sourdough, sprouted-wheat, gluten-free, etc.
- 16 slices tomato
- 1 large avocado , thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup Chipotle Green Onion Aioli
- vegan butter , such as earth balance
For the Crispy Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Brush some oil over the foil.
- Line all the slices of mushroom flat on the foil in a single layer. Season on top with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake the mushrooms for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and carefully flip each slice of mushroom. Use a small spoon to help flip if needed.
- Bake the mushrooms again for an additional ~15-20 minutes to crispy both sides. In the last 10 minutes of baking, be sure to check to make sure they do not burn. If they seem crispy enough before the 20 minutes are done, remove them from the oven.
- Place all the crispy mushrooms in a bowl lined with a paper towel. When cool enough to handle, toss with a little garlic powder. Feel free to add a little more salt and black pepper to taste if needed. Set aside (refrigerate if using at a later time).
To Prepare the Sandwich:
- In a non-stick pan on medium heat, grill two slices of bread on both sides, so that they become crispy, using some vegan butter.
- On one slice of grilled bread, spread a layer of the prepared Chipotle green onion aioli. Place a layer of crispy mushrooms on top, romaine lettuce, 4 slices of tomato, and 4 slices avocado. Spread another layer of the prepared Chipotle green onion aioli on the other slice of grilled bread and sandwich on top.
- Repeat to make three more sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches in half and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Per Serving (see disclosure below): 332 Calories, 12.6g Fat (0.3g Saturated), 406.3mg Sodium, 47.7g Total Carbs, 7.5g Fiber, 7.4g Sugars, 15.0g Protein
Nutritional Information Disclosure: I am not a nutritionist or a dietary specialist. I manually calculate approximate nutritional information (at the request of followers) through a free service provided by this website: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp where I enter in ingredients and serving size. I am unable to verify every ingredient, it’s source, and it’s nutritional information in their database, and therefore I DO NOT guarantee 100% accuracy of the nutritional information provided above.[subscribe_box]
I love mushrooms.rosted mushroom was good.
Thank you. I’ve been making my own vegan mushroom sandwhich that’s very satisfying except for the texture. This is genius and I can’t wait to try. I wonder if I marinate them overnight first if it would give even more flavor.
Awesome! Then you’ll love this recipe! And YES…marinating them overnight first would give even more flavor!