Now you can enjoy all your favorites flavors with these fun Peppermint Brownie Truffles! These vegan gluten-free brownie truffles are festive, crowd-pleasing, no-bake, easily customizable, and take only 15 minutes to make!
This post was sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill, but the opinions and text are fully my own.
You guys! Can you believe Christmas is almost here and we’ll be saying hello to 2020 soon? This year has gone by incredibly fast!
Although I’m excited for January to come (new year, new goals! AND I’m turning 40 yikes!), I’m trying to savor every last bit of this magical time during the holidays! I’m definitely one of those that gets sucked right in this time of the year.
- christmas lights
- hot chocolate
- holiday events
- holiday parties
- warm and cozy nights by the christmas tree
- christmas movies
- spending time with family & friends
- donating & volunteering, appreciating the life we have
- all the delicious food
…and of course my two favorite combinations during this time of year
…CHOCOLATE & PEPPERMINT!
Yes! I’m a total sucker for desserts when it involves both chocolate and peppermint. And I know I can enjoy peppermint year-round, but for some reason, it just feels right to enjoy this combination during the Fall & Winter.
So before I leave you for the holidays, I wanted to share one last favorite recipe of mine during this time of year – Peppermint Vegan Gluten-Free Brownie Truffles using chocolate sandwich cookies and my favorite Bob’s Red Mill super-fine almond flour as a base!
Why You Are Going To Love This Recipe!
- They are SO easy to make!
- You don’t even have to turn your oven on
- They only take about 15 minutes of your time, the rest of the time is waiting for the chocolate coating to harden in the fridge!
- The ingredients are simple
- It’ll make the perfect dessert that’ll have everyone craving more!
AND they taste like a combination of all my favorites!
Now that I have your attention, let’s see what these no-bake brownies are made with and how easy they are to whip up!
Making The Brownies Bites Inside
Everyone knows what cake pops are right?
How about those oreo brownie bites made with oreos and cream cheese? Those have been popular for years!
Well, these have a cake pop consistency inside, without having to actually bake a cake! And they’re similar in concept to the oreo cream cheese no-bake brownie bite recipes floating around. But there’s just something about mixing cake or cookie crumbs with cream cheese to get that truffle-like texture that has me look the other way, so I created another favorite easy combination!
What are these no-bake brownies made with?
The brownies contain the following:
- Oreo cookies
- cocoa powder
- almond butter
- almond flour
- maple syrup
Typically I create and share recipes that are mostly homemade, relying less on completely store-bought or packaged ingredients. But I make exceptions, especially when it comes to using Oreos in recipes.
I created that brownie/cakey texture with the use of my favorite Bob’s Red Mill super-fine almond flour and cocoa powder. Combined with a little maple syrup and almond butter, these made the perfect fudgy chocolate treats! (And yes, I couldn’t help but insert some healthy fats and protein into these truffles! I mean…why not when they taste so much better!)
I love using the combination of almond flour and almond butter in no-bake recipes. The texture and nutty flavor makes for delicious baked goods. I highly recommend and always use the super-fine almond flour by Bob’s Red Mill.
Bob’s Red Mill has some of the highest quality products I’ve ever tried! My family has been behind this brand for years (especially for their gluten-free products), and I love how they have happily taken over my pantry! So check them out next time you’re shopping for good quality ingredients!
How To Make These Gluten-Free?
For the gluten-free version, simply use any gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookie! I have a few favorites which are also free of dairy and eggs.
Where Does The Peppermint Flavor Come From?
My favorite way to get that peppermint flavor in there is by using candy canes straight in the mixture.
You can also use peppermint or candy cane flavored chocolate sandwich cookies or add some peppermint extract into the mixture.
And if you’re not a huge fan of peppermint? Easy! Leave it out! These will still taste great!
Now let’s take these no-bake brownie bites and turn them into truffles by adding even more chocolate! Check out the step by step process on how to make these brownie truffles.
How To Make Vegan Gluten-Free Brownie Truffles – Step by Step
1. Add the oreos and candy canes into a food processor. Pulse the cookies and candy canes until they turn into fine crumbs.
2. Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, almond butter, and maple syrup. Process until well combined, smooth, and a dough type mixture forms.
3. Using a cookie scoop, form the dough into about 1 inch balls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge to chill while you melt the chocolate.
4. Add the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt until completely smooth in 30-second increments, mixing well in between.
5. Add each peppermint brownie ball into the melted chocolate and coat using a spoon. Slowly remove with a fork, letting any excess melted chocolate drip off, and place back on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Repeat with the remaining balls. Sprinkle additional crushed candy canes on top, and place back in the fridge until the chocolate hardens completely.
Store in the fridge in an air-tight container if enjoying that day!
Tips For Making Vegan Gluten-Free Brownie Truffles
Why use a little coconut oil when melting the chocolate? Adding a tiny amount of coconut oil will assist when melting the chocolate. It’ll also give a softer outer chocolate shell to the truffles.
How to easily get that Peppermint Flavor in? I usually don’t have peppermint extract in my pantry. So I either use candy canes or if you don’t have any, buy peppermint or candy cane flavored chocolate sandwich cookies. They typically come out during the holiday months. For that extra peppermint flavor, use both!
How to dip the Brownie Truffles neatly in chocolate? Make sure that the brownie balls are chilled before dipping into the warm melted chocolate.
Working quickly, slowly drop each ball into the melted chocolate and coat using a spoon. Slowly lift each one up with a fork, allowing any chocolate to drip off before placing on the parchment paper. You can use a chocolate dipping tool if you have one, but a fork worked fine for me.
I poured out small amounts of the melted chocolate into a smaller glass bowl to make it easier for me to coat each one. This way, you can also heat the melted chocolate again if needed.
How to keep these gluten-free? Use your favorite gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies. There are many great ones out there now!
Can I make these without the flavor of peppermint? YES of course! Simply leave out the candy canes!
Looking For Other Vegan No-Bake Recipes?
- Protein-Packed Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites
- Chocolate Pie
- Pumpkin Cookies with Pecans & Coconut
Vegan Gluten-Free Peppermint Brownie Truffles
- 13 chocolate sandwich cookies , see notes below
- 2 candy canes , broken (optional, see notes below)
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup almond butter , unsweetened
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
For Chocolate Coating:
- 2 cups vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 teasp coconut oil
- crushed candy canes , optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add chocolate sandwich cookies and broken candy canes (if using) into a food processor.
- Pulse the cookies and candy canes until they turn into fine crumbs.
- Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, almond butter, and maple syrup. Process until well combined, smooth, and a dough type mixture forms.
- Using a cookie scoop, and the palm of your hands, form the dough into about 1 inch balls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Once you are done forming balls with all the dough mixture, place the baking sheet in the fridge to chill the balls while you melt the chocolate.
To Coat The Brownie Truffles with Chocolate:
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, mixing in between, until all the chocolate is fully melted and pourable. (Alternatively, use the double broiler method, see notes below).
- Add each peppermint brownie ball into the melted chocolate and coat using a spoon. Slowly remove with a fork, letting any excess melted chocolate drip off, and place back on the parchment-lined baking sheet. (see notes below)
- Repeat with the remaining balls. Sprinkle additional crushed candy canes on top, and place back in the fridge until the chocolate hardens completely.
- Enjoy or store in the fridge in an air-tight container!
These look incredibly delicious 🙂
The combination of chocolate and peppermint sounds heavenly!
OMG, you are going to be 40, you really look 10 years younger!!!
When is your birthday? – Sorry for going off topic 🙁
Love this combo of chocolate and peppermint! Such a great recipe Anjali! LOVE IT 🙂