Meals in a bowl. I love them. Anyone else with me? It’s the first thing that comes to mind, especially during lunch, when I’m craving many different flavors and textures at once. Conceptually, it’s also the easiest thing to whip together and a great way to enjoy a well-balanced, complete meal. This desire of mine for one-bowl meals is more of a recent thing, and I’ve been stuck on a few staple meals that have been way over-used. Well, thank goodness for Jackie and her new Vegan Bowl Attack cookbook for coming up with so many different and awesome combinations that are not only delicious, but also fun to eat, fun to make, completely satisfying, creative, and healthy! Choosing what to make first from her cookbook was sooo hard. There were just so many mouthwatering recipes I instantly wanted to try, but her Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl had me at “crispy potato hash” and “heavenly mushroom gravy”. Here’s to enjoying breakfast for lunch AND dinner…because that’s exactly what happened when I tried out this recipe of hers! I’m excited to be able to share this recipe from Jackie’s new cookbook, Vegan Bowl Attack!, along with offering a GIVEAWAY for your chance to win a copy of the cookbook at the end of the post.
I had the pleasure of meeting Jackie for the first time at a SoCal vegan blogger meetup awhile back. If you know anything about Jackie, her popular blog Vegan Yack Attack, and how talented she is in the kitchen, then you know that any cookbook created by her is going to be nothing short of amazing. She’s witty, fun, creative, and very talented. When I first heard the title of her book, I knew it was going to be life-changing, especially with my recent desire to eat my meals bowl-style. Her stellar photography alone had me excited to get my hands on it!
Vegan Bowl Attack covers it all. From Breakfast Bowls (Chai Waffle Stick Dippers, Peanut Butter Pretzel Oatmeal, Mini-Cinni Rolls, etc), Snack Bowls (White Bean Beer Fondue, Buffalo Jackfruit Dip, Mozz-Stuffed Neatballs, etc.), Soup and Salad Bowls (Herb Tofu Tomato Salad, Banh Me Panzanella Salad, White Bean Garlic Bisque, etc.), to Entree Bowls (Buffalo Chickpea Mac n Cheeze, Spicy Sushi Bowl, “Fish” Taco Bowl, etc.) and Dessert Bowls (Raw Apple Crisp, S’mores Pudding Bowl, Mint Chocolate Chip Doughnut Sundae, etc.)! She even has an entire section on Bowl Essentials that includes multipurpose sauces, spreads, dips, and drizzles you can use. I also loved reading her introduction (which doesn’t happen for every cookbook I pickup)…it was simple, clear, and a perfect read to get to know what her cookbook is all about. There is also a section on Bowl Basics and a walk-through on creating your own bowl, which I found really helpful.
Vegan Bowl Attack contains more than 100 one-dish plant based meals and I can’t wait to continue my way through it! Jackie has really covered it all with her new cookbook…trust me when I say that this is one book you’ll want to permanently keep on your kitchen counter. For a chance to win your very own FREE copy of Vegan Bowl Attack, enter the GIVEAWAY at the end of this post. If you can’t wait to get your hands on it (and I don’t blame you), you can purchase it here. Until then, try out this Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl recipe from Jackie’s cookbook!
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, chopped 680 g
- 1 cup diced white onion 160 g
- 1 cup diced tomato 180 g
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper 75 g
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup firmly packed arugula 20 g
- 1½ cups + 1 tbsp light coconut milk 355 ml (divided)
- ½ cup diced white onion 80 g
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup diced baby bella mushrooms 35 g
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch 8 g
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast 12 g
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos 15 ml
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Vegan cheese shreds for topping (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot enough to make water sizzle, put the potatoes in. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Start your gravy now, if you can.)
- Add the onions to the potatoes, cover, and sauté until the onions become translucent. Lower the heat to medium and then add the tomatoes and bell pepper to the pan. Leave uncovered and sauté until the potatoes are crispy and cooked all the way through.
- Season the hash with salt and pepper. Wait until right before serving to fold in the arugula, so that it does not become too limp.
- Make the gravy at the same time as the potatoes if you can; I wouldn’t recommend doing it afterward, as the potatoes may get mushy when reheated.
Coat a medium saucepan with 1 tablespoon of the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Next, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes and then stir in the garlic.
- Cook until the onions are almost translucent and then add the mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms have darkened and reduced in size.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the onion-mushroom mixture and stir until everything is coated evenly.
- Put the contents of the saucepan in a blender or food processor along with the remaining coconut milk, the nutritional yeast, and liquid aminos and pulse a few times for a smoother consistency.
- Pour the gravy back into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so that the gravy simmers. Stir or whisk every couple of minutes until it reaches the desired thickness and then season with pepper.
- Divide the potato hash among 4 bowls (don’t forget to fold in the arugula first!) and top with cheese shreds, if using, and the gravy. Serve immediately.
Here is your chance to win your very own FREE COPY of Vegan Bowl Attack! by Jackie Sobon. See the rules below before entering the GIVEAWAY:
- All entrants must be SUBSCRIBED by EMAIL to Vegetarian Gastronomy, all entrants will be verified. Sorry but giveaways on my site are only offered to my followers. To subscribe, fill out the box below and be sure to verify your confirmation email.
- Open to residents in US & Canada, must be 18 years or older to enter. The winner will be notified via email and announced in this post and in the comments of this post. The giveaway starts NOW and ends midnight August 25st, 2016, Eastern time. Good Luck!