This delicious and creative Loaded Potatoes Breakfast Bowl with Mushroom Gravy is perfect for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner! It’s packed with delicious flavors from the crispy loaded potato hash and creamy mushroom gravy. It’s the perfect way to start your day!
The Ultimate Vegan Bowl Recipe Book
Meals in a bowl. I love them. Anyone else with me? It’s the first thing that comes to mind, especially during lunch, when I’m craving many different flavors and textures at once.
Conceptually, it’s also the easiest thing to whip together and a great way to enjoy a well-balanced, complete meal. This desire of mine for one-bowl meals is more of a recent thing, and I’ve been stuck on a few staple meals that have been way over-used.
Well, thank goodness for Jackie and her new Vegan Bowl Attack cookbook for coming up with so many different and awesome combinations that are not only delicious, but also fun to eat, fun to make, completely satisfying, creative, and healthy!
Choosing what to make first from her cookbook was sooo hard. There were just so many mouthwatering recipes I instantly wanted to try, but her Loaded Potatoes Breakfast Bowl had me at “crispy potato hash” and “heavenly mushroom gravy”.
Here’s to enjoying breakfast for lunch AND dinner…because that’s exactly what happened when I tried out this recipe of hers! I’m excited to be able to share this recipe from Jackie’s new cookbook, Vegan Bowl Attack!
Get The Book
I had the pleasure of meeting Jackie for the first time at a SoCal vegan blogger meetup a while back. If you know anything about Jackie, her popular blog Vegan Yack Attack, and how talented she is in the kitchen, then you know that any cookbook created by her is going to be nothing short of amazing.
She’s witty, fun, creative, and very talented. When I first heard the title of her book, I knew it was going to be life-changing, especially with my recent desire to eat my meals bowl-style. Her stellar photography alone had me excited to get my hands on it!
Vegan Bowl Attack covers it all. From Breakfast Bowls (Chai Waffle Stick Dippers, Peanut Butter Pretzel Oatmeal, Mini-Cinni Rolls, etc), Snack Bowls (White Bean Beer Fondue, Buffalo Jackfruit Dip, Mozz-Stuffed Meatballs, etc.)
Soup and Salad Bowls (Herb Tofu Tomato Salad, Banh Me Panzanella Salad, White Bean Garlic Bisque, etc.), to Entree Bowls (Buffalo Chickpea Mac n Cheeze, Spicy Sushi Bowl, “Fish” Taco Bowl, etc.) and Dessert Bowls (Raw Apple Crisp, S’mores Pudding Bowl, Mint Chocolate Chip Doughnut Sundae, etc.)!
She even has an entire section on Bowl Essentials that includes multipurpose sauces, spreads, dips, and drizzles you can use. I also loved reading her introduction (which doesn’t happen for every cookbook I pick up)…it was simple, clear, and a perfect read to get to know what her cookbook is all about.
There is also a section on Bowl Basics and a walk-through on creating your own bowl, which I found really helpful.
Vegan Bowl Attack contains more than 100 one-dish plant-based meals and I can’t wait to continue my way through it! Jackie has really covered it all with her new cookbook…trust me when I say that this is one book you’ll want to permanently keep on your kitchen counter.
Loaded Potatoes Breakfast Bowl
This loaded potatoes breakfast bowl was off the charts delicious. I mean it’s the kind of meal anyone would enjoy whether it was for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
It’s the perfect balance of flavors and textures from the crispy potato hash to the creamy and flavor-packed vegan mushroom sauce.
The Potato Hash
The potato hash is just incredible and can easily be adapted into many different dishes from side dishes to appetizers to salads served with your favorite sauce or gravy. Better yet it’s made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
Here’s what you need to make it;
- White Onion
- Diced Tomatoes
- Coconut Oil
- Red Bell Pepper
- Salt And Pepper
Extra Tips When Making This Loaded Potatoes Breakfast Bowl;
- Make sure the coconut oil is very hot in the pan before adding the potatoes and onions. It helps give them the perfect crispiness.
- Don’t add the arugula until you are ready to serve or it will wilt and go limp very quickly.
- Make the gravy whilst the potatoes are cooking. Don’t wait until they are ready as they can turn mushy and you’ll lose the crunch.
- If your gravy is too thin add a little more cornstarch if it’s too thick add a little more coconut milk or a splash of water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve this dish immediately. Although leftovers will still taste delicious a lot of the texture will be lost.
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like;
If you try this Loaded Potatoes Breakfast Bowl or get the Vegan Bowl Attack Book be sure to let me know how you go on in the comments below. You can also tag me on Facebook or Instagram if you try it out, with both @vegetariangastronomy, #vegetariangastronomy. I’ve loved seeing and sharing all your re-makes!
Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl with Mushroom Gravy
For the potato hash:
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, chopped 680 g
- 1 cup diced white onion 160 g
- 1 cup diced tomato 180 g
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper 75 g
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup firmly packed arugula 20 g
For the mushroom gravy:
- 1½ cups + 1 tbsp light coconut milk 355 ml (divided)
- ½ cup diced white onion 80 g
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup diced baby bella mushrooms 35 g
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch 8 g
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast 12 g
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos 15 ml
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- vegan cheese shreds , for topping (optional)
To make the potato hash:
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot enough to make water sizzle, put the potatoes in. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Start your gravy now, if you can.)
- Add the onions to the potatoes, cover, and sauté until the onions become translucent. Lower the heat to medium and then add the tomatoes and bell pepper to the pan. Leave uncovered and sauté until the potatoes are crispy and cooked all the way through.
- Season the hash with salt and pepper. Wait until right before serving to fold in the arugula, so that it does not become too limp.
To make the mushroom gravy:
- Make the gravy at the same time as the potatoes if you can; I wouldn’t recommend doing it afterward, as the potatoes may get mushy when reheated.
- Coat a medium saucepan with 1 tablespoon of the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Next, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes and then stir in the garlic.
- Cook until the onions are almost translucent and then add the mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms have darkened and reduced in size.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the onion-mushroom mixture and stir until everything is coated evenly.
- Put the contents of the saucepan in a blender or food processor along with the remaining coconut milk, the nutritional yeast, and liquid aminos and pulse a few times for a smoother consistency.
- Pour the gravy back into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so that the gravy simmers. Stir or whisk every couple of minutes until it reaches the desired thickness and then season with pepper.
- Divide the potato hash among 4 bowls (don’t forget to fold in the arugula first!) and top with cheese shreds, if using, and the gravy. Serve immediately.
If it’s one that I make then it’s Taco Salad!
Ah! Couldn’t agree with you more! Love taco salads!
What a lovely giveway and this book of Jackie’s sounds amazing.
I also love one bowl meals, your presentation with the loaded potatoes is just gorgeous 🙂
Thanks Rashmi! It really is…I can’t wait to try more from her book!
Congratulations to Jackie on this amazing new book! All the recipes sound absolutely delicious… Your presentation is always on point… Thanks Anjali
You are too sweet Reshana! She is awesome and so is her book! Thanks so much…loved all the colors of this dish! Again, so sorry you can’t participate in this =(
I like be anything with lentils or beans. I find them really satisfying. My favorite is spicy lentil soup, it has lots of garlic and cilantro and I love topping it with avocado.
Oooo…sounds like tortilla soup =) Yes, lentils and beans make for perfect one-dish meals!
perfect! especially for the summer! good luck!
I don’t make too many one dish meals, but I should! My husband makes a killer curry on rice, though.
Curry on rice is one of my favs! And yes…one-dish meals are awesome! good luck!
Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
This has to be the ultimate vegan comfort food breakfast! Wow, that gravy…mmmm <3 Gorgeous presentation too! Everything I've seen from this book so far as looked totally amazing, Jackie is very creative!
It so is…whenever I go to breakfast places, the first thing I look for is a crispy potato hash…and this gravy on top is delicious (coming from someone who’s never been a fan of gravy ha!). Jackie is really creative and I love her book! Thanks Natalie!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
Such a fantastic savory breakfast option! Perfect fuel!
Yes…and lunch and dinner!! At least that’s what happened in my house =)
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
This is such a delicious recipe! I love this book so much.
Isn’t it awesome? I can’t wait to try more from it!
I also don’t make many one dish meals especially since I’m relatively new to a meat-free journey (started earlier this year). Maybe something like a kale, butternut squash, red pepper, onion Tex-Mex sauté. We’ve made that a few times and it’s been delicious.
One-dish meals are awesome! You can do so much, not to mention Jackie’s book is fabulous and I’m certain you’ll love it! Good luck, and let me know if you need any recs on easy quick meat-free recipes to try!
yum Anjali!! This is just delicious girl.. Love vegan bowls at the moment and I will happily devour this for breakfast
Ha thank you!! If you love vegan bowls, you’ll definitely love her book! It’s awesome!
I am thinking about getting this book for my vegan bestie for Christmas.
She will LOVE it! Everything about it is awesome…the recipes, variety, creativity, and ease! Jackie is really talented!
omg! this looks super awesome. Brilliant recipe and what bright and colourful photos.
Sarah @ Champagne Tastes
Oh man- that mushroom gravy looks AMAZING!!! Regular gravy is way too greasy for me- I’m gonna try this!
I’ve never been a fan of gravy in general, but this one is delicious, especially with that mushroom flavor in it over the potatoes!
Debi at Life Currents
I really like the idea of a potato bar. Anything that people can make their own of, makes it fun! And thanks for the giveaway!
Potato bar sounds awesome! And yes…I love food where you can just set it up and everyone makes their own! Good luck!
Love the sound of mushroom gravy! This looks like a wonderful tasty and healthy breakfast
Super tasty and flavorful! Had it for breakfast 3 days straight! And the mushroom gravy on top is delicious!
Golden bowls are my comfort food
What are golden bowls? good luck!
I am a HUGE fan of food in bowls! Haha!! Smoothie bowls, burrito bowls, etc. so I eventually need to get this book! It’s funny because on Sophia’s post with a recipe from this book, I had mentioned that I was anxious to see the recipe for the loaded potato breakfast bowl and here it is! This looks incredible! From what I’ve heard so far, this book is wonderful and I really do love her photography – so talented.
Oh yea…if you love bowls, you’ll love what she has in this book…so much variety and creativity! This recipe instantly caught my eye because I’m a huge fan of crispy potatos, a good hash, and the mushroom!! We ate it for breakfast 3 days straight! Hope you get your hands on a copy soon!
Mel | avirtualvegan.com
Ooo that gravy looks divine. What a great dish. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of the book!
I’m not even a huge gravy person and I loved it!! And yes…you NEED a copy of this book! It’s awesome!
This looks so Delicious & it will be such a HIT at my home 🙂 The giveaway book sounds fun.
You’ll love it…it’s packed full of flavor! Bowl meals are always fun to make!
These bowl of potatoes sounds awesome! Love to try these soon!
The Vegan 8
I love Jackie’s book and so funny, I think this is the same recipe I chose for my review as well, lol!
Nice! Can’t wait to see your pictures of it! Yeah it’s the one that instantly grabbed my attention because of the crispy hash and mushroom gravy =) It’s delicious!
I love making eggplant dip
I love a good pasta dish with lots of tomatoes
I’ve had my eye on this cookbook – thanks for sharing this breakfast bowl recipe. My favorite go-to meal is a vegan bowl. They are so versatile and I’m always looking for new recipe ideas. Tonight I’m making a Mexican bowl.
You’ll love this cookbook, it’s awesome! Especially since it sounds like you love one-bowl vegan meals!
I make a nice quinoa/vegetable salad.
some kind of bean and oven roasted veggies – yummmm
That’s the one bowl dish i have on my site which i repeatedly make =)
A burrito bowl is always filling and yummy!
I like Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
ooo…yum! haven’t had that in awhile! good luck!
My favourite one-dish plant meal is roasted root vegetables.
Roasted carrots are my favorite! Good luck!
An oriental salad is my favorite! I mix shredded cabbage, spinach, carrots and lots of green onion.
Congrats to Steven for winning the GIVEAWAY! Thanks to everyone who participated for this giveaway!