This vegan pulled shiitake mushroom BBQ sandwich is for all you mushroom lovers! It has the perfect meaty and chewy texture is dripping with thick and sticky BBQ sauce, and is a great quick and easy meal to whip up for a crowd!
I’m thrilled to be reviewing and sharing a recipe from an awesome plant-based cookbook by my friend Linda and her daughter Alex, the great mother-daughter team behind the blog Veganosity – Great Vegan BBQ Without A Grill!
Take a look inside this new cookbook, get the recipe for this delicious Pulled Shiitake Mushroom BBQ Sandwich!
Great Vegan BBQ Without A Grill
This new cookbook came out this past summer, and I’m in love with all the vegan sandwiches, BBQ recipes, and gorgeous mouthwatering photographs!
Each of the recipes in this cookbook has a story behind it and celebrates Linda & Alex’s love of family, sports, the South, the Midwest, and most of all, animals. It’s full of plant-based BBQ favorites, game day foods, and recipes you’d traditionally make on an outdoor grill.
And here’s why I love this cookbook so much…no matter what season you’re in, whether or not you have a grill, Great Vegan BBQ Without A Grill is full of amazing plant-based ribs, burgers, steaks, kabobs, and more smokey favorites you can enjoy all year long!
All of the recipes are:
- Made with Whole Foods
- Bold in Flavor
You’ll find that many of the recipes are made with cauliflower, mushrooms, tofu, a variety of beans, jackfruit, cashews, and vital wheat gluten. They’re perfect meat and dairy substitutes and have a great texture when cooked properly.
The book is carefully curated and contains chapters that are easy to follow. You’ll see that there’s something for everyone in this book.
- Meat-Free BBQ To Satisfy Meat Eaters
- Burgers & Sandwiches: From Way Up North To The Deep South
- Stick Food
- Stuffed, Foiled, & Smothered: delectable Entrees for a Cozy Dinner
- Sides & Salads That Go With A Barbecue
- BBQ Dips To Bring To A Party
- Keeping It Saucy: BBQ Sauces & Rubs
The BBQ jackfruit with grilled pineapples is only 5 ingredients and the perfect easy and quick go-to recipe for any weeknight. The cheddar stuffed veggie burgers and buffalo quinoa burgers have me drooling. Or take comfort in dishes like the smoky mac n cheese and southern sticky grilled tofu.
How To Make The Perfect Pulled Shiitake Mushroom BBQ Sandwich – Step by Step
This specific BBQ sandwich is from the cookbook and is easy to whip up for a crowd. You can make the mushroom mixture ahead of time, toast the buns, and let people assemble their own for a potluck or game day. It comes together quickly, is really easy to make, and perfect for all you mushroom lovers!
Start by thinly slicing the shiitake and portobello mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms and finely diced onions until the onions start to caramelize and the edges of the mushrooms begin to crisp up.
Add the BBQ sauce (The book has a great home-made BBQ sauce recipe, or you can easily use your favorite store-bought one to save some time).
Cook the mixture in the BBQ sauce until it coats evenly, thickens, and starts to stick.
Serve the mushroom mixture on your favorite toasted buns and top with arugula, tomato, and sliced pickles for the perfect BBQ Sandwich!
If you like this recipe or post, be sure to leave a comment and use the rating field! You can also tag me on Instagram with any re-makes, @vegetariangastronomy so I don’t miss it, as I love sharing them on Re-Make Fridays! Or you can help me spread the word about my recipes on Pinterest and Facebook!
Looking for more Easy Vegan Sandwich recipes?
- Vegan Coconut BLT Sandwich with Peaches
- Crispy Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
- Crispy Mushroom Avocado Sandwich w/Chipotle Aioli
- Tempeh Arugula Sandwich w/Roasted Garlic Aioli
Pulled Shiitake Mushroom BBQ Sandwich
- 2 cups Big Mama’s Homemade BBQ Sauce , or store-bought (see notes below for recipe)
- 22 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 22 oz baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion , finely diced
- salt & pepper , to taste
- 4 hamberber buns
- tomato , slices
- dill pickles , sliced
- Make the BBQ sauce, if you don’t already have some on hand, to allow the flavors to infuse while you prepare the mushrooms (see notes below for homemade recipe).
- Thinly slice the mushrooms. They should look shredded.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir frequently until the mushrooms lose their water and the onions become translucent and soft, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Depending on the size of the pan, you may need to cook the mushrooms and onions in two batches.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onions caramelize and the edges of the mushrooms begin to crisp up, approximately 5 minutes.
- When the mushrooms and onions are done cooking, add the BBQ sauce to the pan and stir until the mushrooms are completely coated in the sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Serve the mushrooms on the buns and top with the arugula, tomato and sliced pickles.
- 1/2 teasp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic or 3/4 teasp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark molasses
- 1.5 teasp sea salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teasp onion powder
- 1 teasp cumin
- 1 teasp paprika
- 1/2 teasp black pepper
- 1 teasp olive oil (optional)
What a delicious and meaty looking sandwich.
I dont think meat lovers will miss the no meat at all.
Gorgeous pictures Anjali
My favorite BBQ dish is probably baked beans or grilled corn!
my favorite would be backed beans
I tried a BBQ Jackfruit sandwich the other day, and LOVED it!
Then you’ll LOVE this cookbook! It’s so easy to follow and brings vegan bbq to your home all year long!
This burger looks heavenly 🙂 Love it!!!
Thanks Rashmi! Their recipe was so easy to follow! Love the concept of this cookbook!
Linda from Veganosity
Thank you so much for the amazing review, my friend! Alex and I are so happy that you’re enjoying our cookbook. This is one of our favorite recipes because it’s so easy to whip up, and so full of flavor and meaty texture. We will share this with our readers, I know they’re going to want the recipe. 🙂
Thank YOU Linda for allowing me to share your recipe! And what an awesome cookbook! I can’t stress enough how much I love that you guys focused on bringing vegan BBQ to the table all year long. Gorgeous photographs, and can’t wait to try out more recipes! I’ll be making this again for christmas when my brother comes down!
Mmm can’t wait to try this recipe, it’s beyond simple and looks amazing. My favorite plant-based BBQ dish so far has to be BBQ tofu skewers but that is highly likely to change after seeing all the other yummy recipes from Linda and Alex’s cookbook!
I’ve tried pulled jackfruit bbq sliders and they were delicious. This looks equally amazing.
I really like skewers with tofu, pineapple, onions, tomatoes and more!
Grilled vegetables are delicious, but I also love potato salad and other side dishes.
Vegan Brat Kabobs.
Thank you for share this recipe..Your recipe was easy to follow…Great recipe Thank you
This is literally why I continue paying internet!! So many solutions and delicious things for vegan people!! THANK you so much for this vegan pulled shiitake mushroom BBQ sandwich. I appreciate this kind of recipes with all my heart
I just got a hold of some very nice looking shitake mushrooms & I immediately google searched for a recipe and I found yours! I’ll be trying this recipe very soon ,thanks. P.S. I’m not a vegan, but I am impressed !
Yay! This is one of my favorite recipes with shitake mushrooms! Especially paired with the aioli. Let me know if you give it a try! If you need other plant-based recipe recs let me know.
Monica from Bestconsumerratings
One more great recipe for vegan, I and my husband are fans of shiitake mushrooms, we usually used it when veganism, I will definitely try your recipe, looks seem easy to make :D. Thanks so much for this guide. Looking forward to seeing more.