These vegan Loaded Black Bean Tofu Tacos with Walnut Crumble are my latest food obsession! They’re delicious, the filling is easy to make, packed with veggies and protein, and family friendly!
IT”S ALL ABOUT THE FILLING…veggies, black beans, crumbled tofu, and my favorite Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Crumble! Saute and combine them all together to make the perfect savory, flavor-packed, healthy taco filling recipe and stuff it into your favorite crunchy hard taco shell. Top it with some chopped lettuce, fresh cool tomatoes, mashed avocado, and my quick vegan sour cream recipe and you have yourself a exciting plate waiting to be devoured.
While writing this post, it got me to thinking about the general concept of tacos. I started asking myself, “why does everyone love tacos so much? What is it about them that has everyone so EXCITED?” Well it’s quite simple.
…Tacos are easy and quick to make
…Tacos have endless filling and flavor combinations
…Tacos provide all the nutrition you need
…Tacos can be made to fit any taste, sweet or savory
…Tacos can be crunchy or soft
…Tacos are efficient and can be eaten without utensils
And of course, last but not least, they’re DELICIOUS! So what’s not to love?! I mean…look at this picture below. Doesn’t it make you want to just DIG in??
For those of you already obsessed with my Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Crumble recipe (I’ve loved seeing all your re-makes on Instagram!), these black bean tofu tacos will be an automatic win in your house. And if you haven’t tried my Walnut Crumble yet, you are really missing out. I’ve had people tell me that it’s the best “ground round” they’ve ever had, and it’s packed with whole foods and good-for-you nutritious ingredients (none of that fake unhealthy store-bought stuff). This is the real deal. It’s versatile, you can throw it into anything, and tastes amazing.
These Loaded Black Bean Tofu Tacos with Walnut Crumble can easily be prepped ahead of time, making them perfect for an easy quick weeknight meal (which I know we all need) or to serve at a party or take to a potluck. They can also be made kid-friendly by leaving out the walnut crumble for a non-spicy version. Now that I’ve convinced you to make tacos this week (as IF you needed any convincing…), try these new crunchy tofu tacos. Leave me a comment below if you do, or tag me on Facebook or Instagram, @vegetariangastronomy #vegetariangastronomy! I’d love to see and share your remakes!
These loaded tacos are delicious, the filling is easy to make, packed with veggies and protein, and family friendly!
- 10 hard taco shells
- lettuce , chopped
- tomatoes , finely diced
- avocado , mashed and seasoned with salt
- hot sauce or salsa , optional
- Remove as much water as you can from the firm tofu using paper towels to firmly press and soak up the water.
- Heat 1-2 teasp cooking oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into the heated pan. Saute on medium-high heat, mixing frequently, until all of the water from the tofu is released and burned off, and the tofu just starts to turn golden in color. Meanwhile, prepare the Vegan Sour Cream below to save time.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add in the diced red and green bell peppers and cook along with the tofu until the bell pepper is tender.
- Add in the black beans and prepared Walnut Crumble. Mix well, season with salt to taste, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients listed under Vegan Sour Cream above into a blender (I used a powerful blender such as a Vitamix).
- Blend/puree until the contents are completely creamy and no chunks remain. Feel free to adjust the flavor if necessary with salt and/or lemon juice.
- Pour the prepared Vegan Sour Cream into a bowl and place in the fridge to cool until ready to use.
- Bake or Microwave the hard taco shells for a short time to slightly heat and cook them.
- For each taco shell, place a layer of the filling at the bottom, top with some chopped lettuce, followed by a layer of mashed avocado, and diced tomatoes. Drizzle on some of the cooled prepared Vegan Sour Cream. Top with salsa or hot sauce (optional) and devour!
Tips to Prep Ahead - Make the Savory Walnut Sun-Dried Tomato Crumble and Vegan Sour Cream ahead of time and store in the fridge. You can also take it one step further and prepare the entire filling ahead of time as well.
Kid-Friendly - If your kids can't handle any spice, simply omit the Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Crumble in the filling (it's honestly not that spicy to begin with, but if your kids are like my son and can't handle even black pepper, then consider leaving it out). You can easily do this by setting aside some of the filling for your kids prior to adding in the crumble.
Looking for more Healthy Vegan Taco Recipes?
- Roasted Balsamic Portobello Tacos w/Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
- Chipotle, Black Bean, & Roasted Veggie Tacos
- Four Bean, Quinoa, & Veggie Tacos
Looking for more Vegan Tofu Recipes?